I want those books. Please give them to me. a. they b. them с those d. these
It was 10 o’clock. I had to leave. a. must b. had c. have to d. had to
4. You should not drive alone at night. a. not drive b. not to drive с don’t drive d. not driven
5. She is a kind of person who likes to go to parties. a. which b. who с whom d. where
6: Have you ever been to England? Yes, I have been there last year. a. was being b. had been c. have been d. was
Before you leave, don’t forget to turn off the TV set. a. will leave b. left с leave d. have left
I heard a knock on the door but when I opened it there was nobody outside. a. somebody b. nobody c. anyone d. anything
9. Why is Mike late? He has either missed the nine o’clock train or something really serious has happened to him.
a. either b. neither c. both d. so
Will you give me two another stamps? a. else b. still с more d. another
Can you tell us another amusing story? a. another b. other с else d. more
He didn’t say a word about his plans. a. say b. tell с speak d. talk
I hope Mike will be luckier than we were.
a. more lucky b. lucky с most lucky d. luckier
Ann told Mother that she was going to buy a birthday present for her brother, a. is going to b. was going to с was going d. is going
She doesn’t know if she comes in time tomorrow. a. came b. come с comes d. will come
II. Open the brackets, using the verbs in the correct tenses.
Litter Is a Problem In Our Cities
Litter is garbage — like food, paper, and cans — on the ground or in the street. Where many people live together, litter is a problem. People don’t put always their garbage in the garbage can. It’s easier to drop a paper than to find a garbage can for it. But litter is ugly. It makes the city look dirty, and it spoils the view.
The wind blows papers far away. Often they are difficult to catch. When they blow against a fence, they stay there. This fence is a wall of garbage.
Litter is a health problem, too. Food and garbage bring animals, which sometimes cany disease.
Some people want to control litter. They never throw litter themselves, and sometimes they work together in groups to clean up the city. In most places litter is against the law. The law punishes people who throw garbage on the streets. They usually pay a fine, and occasionally they go to jail.
III. Translate into English, using the appropriate forms of pronouns.
Мне жарко. I am hot.
Вы сообщили им эту новость? Did you tell them news?
Помогите мне, пожалуйста. Help me please.
4. Отдай ему его ручку. Give him his pen back.
Нам хочется побывать в Париже. We’d like to go to Paris.
Это не их ключ, а наш. This is not their key, this is ours.
Какой у неё адрес? What’s her address?
Посмотри на этого ежа. Его колючки похожи на иглы. Look at this hedgehog. His prickles look like needle.
Дайте мне ваше фото, а я дам вам своё. Give me your picture and I’ll give you mine.
IV. Translate into English, using the appropriate tenses.
Мой старший брат только что вернулся из школы. My elder brother has just come back from school.
2. Мне закрыть окно. В комнате чересчур холодно. Shall I close the window? It’s too cold in the room.
3. Что ты собираешься делать в воскресенье? What are you going to do this Sunday?
4. Что ты делал, когда я звонил тебе? What were you doing when I phoned you?
Осенью часто идёт дождь. It rains often in autumn.
Джон всё ещё работает в саду. John is still working in the garden.
7. Если отец купит новую машину, мы поедем на море. If father buys a new car we’ll go to the seaside.
Том завтра не будет играть в теннис, т.к. вчера он не играл. Tomorrow Tom won’t play tennis because yesterday he didn’t play.
Когда я проходил мимо, я видел в вашем окне свет. When I was passing by I saw the light in your window.
Я пишу это сочинение уже два часа и никак не могу его закончить. I’ve been writing this composition for two hours and in no way I arrive finish it.
Read the text and do the assignments after it.
Seven Wonders of the World
1. In ancient times, long before there were great machines to help him, man showed that he was a clever builder. Some of the things built long ago were so remarkable that they are called the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The Seven Wonders were the Great Pyramid, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the statue of Zeus at Olympia, the temple of Diana, the Tomb of King Mausolus, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
2. First to be built of the Seven Wonders was the Great Pyramid. The Pyramid was a tomb which King Khufu of Egypt had built for himself. It was made of more than 2 million huge blocks of limestone, each weighing about 3 tons. The Pyramid was as high as a 40-storey building. Many thousands of slaves worked to pull the big blocks to their proper places. After the blocks had all been set in place, the Pyramid was covered with a facing of fine white limestone.
Although it was the first of the Seven Wonders to be built, the Great Pyramid is the only one of the seven still standing. A large pail of the limestone facing has been removed, but the main part of the Pyramid is as solid as when it was built more than 4,500 years ago. It is at Giza, not far from the present big city of Cairo.
Twenty-five hundred years ago, the city of Babylon, in the land of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, was famous for its toweling walls. The whole city was surrounded by walls. Other walls surrounded the palace of the king. Ancient writings tell that on the tops of the walls protecting the king’s palace there were gardens even more wonderful than the walls themselves. The gardens were called the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. King Nebuchadnezzar, it is said, had them planted to please his wife, who missed the trees and flowers around her former home in the mountains.
5. Zeus was one of the Greek gods. At Olympia in Greece the famous sculptor Phideas built a statue of him some 24 centuries ago. The statue was covered with thin sheets of ivory and gold. The eyes were jewels. This statue lasted for hundreds of years.
About 400 ВС a marble temple was built at Ephesus, in Asia Minor, to the goddess Diana. The temple was remarkable for its great pillars. After standing for about 600 years it was looted and badly damaged by barbarians.
When Mausolus, the king of a part of Asia, died, a tomb was built for him at Halicarnassus in Asia Minor. This tomb was not nearly as large as the Great Pyramid, but it is supposed to have been the most beautiful tomb built in ancient times. It was more than 100 feet high. At the top there was a statue of a chariot drawn by prancing horses. Two figures in the chariot were supposedly King Mausolus and the queen. This tomb built in 353 ВС remained standing for about 1,900 years. It was then destroyed by an earthquake, but it was so famous that the word «mausoleum» came to be a word for tomb.
8. In 280 ВС the people of Rhodes, a city on an island in the Aegean Sea, had a great statue built to celebrate a victory. The statue, called the Colossus, was at the entrance to the harbour at Rhodes. Some claim that the statue stood astride the harbour entrance. The Colossus of Rhodes was destroyed by earthquake in 224 ВС, after it had stood only 56 years.
9. The Lighthouse of Alexandria in Egypt guarded a harbour, too. It was a stone tower about 400 feet high. On its top bonfires burned to warn sailors that there were rocks near by. The Lighthouse, inbuilt before 250 ВС, lasted for more than 1.500 years.
III. Translate the following sentences into Russian.
1) First to be built of the Seven Wonders was the Great Pyramid – Первым из построенных Чудес Света была Великая Пирамида. 2) At Olympia in Greece the famous sculptor Phideas built a statue of Zeus. – В греческой Олимпии знаменитиый скульптор Фидеас построил статую Зевса. 3) The Great Pyramid was made of 2 million huge blocks of limestone – Великая Пирамида была построена из 2-х миллионов огромных блоков из известняка. 4) Two figures in the chariot were King Mausolus and the queen – Две фигуры в колеснице были Царь Маузолус и королева.
II. Find the following words in the text and translate them into Russian. Machine – машина, агрегат;
A block — блок;
to remove – передвигать, перемещать;
a part — часть ;
present – существующий в настоящее время;
a land — земля;
to last — длиться.
III. Translate the following pairs of sentences into Russian and say what part of speech the underlined words belong to.
1) The Pyramid was as high as a 40-storey building (noun — существительное). He was building (Ing-form of the verb to build) a bookcase with boards at II yesterday morning. 2) Although it was the first of the Seven Wonders to be built, the Great Pyramid is the only one of the seven still standing (причастие). After standing (деепричастие) for about 600 years the temple was looted and badly damaged by barbarians. 3) Stone (существительное) is used for building. The Lighthouse of Alexandria was a stone (субстантивированное прилагательное) tower about 400 feet high. 4) Some claim (глагол) that the statue stood astride the harbour entrance. His claim (сущ) that he is the fastest runner at school is not true.
IV. Answer the questions about the text.
1) What are the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World? The Seven Wonders are the Great Pyramid, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the statue of Zeus at Olympia, the temple of Diana, the Tomb of King Mausolus, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
2) Who built the Great Pyramid? The Pyramid was a tomb which King Khufu of Egypt had built for himself.
3) What was the height of the Pyramid? The Pyramid was as high as a 40-storey building.
4) Where is the Great Pyramid? It is at Giza, not far from the present big city of Cairo.
5) What was the city of Babylon famous for? It was famous for its toweling walls.
6) The whole city of Babylon was surrounded by walls, wasn’t it? Yes, it was.
Why had King Nebuchadnezzar planted the gardens on the tops of the walls? He planted them to please his wife, who missed the trees and flowers around her former home in the mountains.
Who built the statue of Zeus? The famous Greek sculptor Phideas built a statue of Zeus some 24 centuries ago.
What was the temple to the goddess Diana remarkable for? The temple was remarkable for its great pillars.
10) Is the Tomb of King Mausolus supposed to have been the most beautiful one built in ancient times? Yes, it is supposed to have been the most beautiful one built in ancient times
V. Translate part 4 and part 7 in writing.
Когда умер Mосолус, царь части Азии, в его честь была построена могила в городе Халикарнасус, в Малой Азии. Эта могила была не такая большая, как Большая Пирамида, но, как предполагается, была самой красивой могилой, построенной в древние времена. Она была больше, чем 100 футов высотой. В верхней части была статуя колесницы, оттянутой гарцующими лошадьми. Двумя статуями в колеснице были возможно Царь Мосолус и королева. Эта могила, построенная в 353 до н.э., простояла в течение приблизительно 1 900 лет. Она была затем разрушена землетрясением, но она была настолько знаменита, что слово «мавзолей» стало синонимом для могилы.
Две тысячи пятьсот лет назад, город Вавилон, на территории рек Тигр и Евфрат, был известен своими махровыми стенами. Целый город был окружен стенами. Другие стены окружили дворец короля. Древние писания говорят, что на вершинах стен, защищающих дворец короля, были посажены сады, еще более красивые, чем стены. Сады назвали Висящими Садами Вавилона. Король Небукеднезар, как говорят, посадил, чтобы понравиться своей жене, которой не хватало деревьев и цветов вокруг ее прежнего дома в горах.